Winnetka Family Law Attorney
Winnetka Family Law Attorney
Illinois Family Law Attorney Serving Clients in Winnetka
Going through a divorce or dealing with a child custody dispute in Winnetka is never easy. Illinois law is complicated, and it is important to have an experienced advocate on your side throughout the process. At the Law Offices of George M. Sanders, P.C., we have decades of experience advocating for clients in a variety of legal matters and have been focusing on family law matters in the Chicago area since 2005. Whether you are just considering divorce and have questions about the process, or if you need assistance with a contentious divorce case or a modification, we can help.
One of the dedicated Winnetka family law attorneys at our firm can speak with you today about your case.
Types of Family Law Cases We Handle in Winnetka
At the Law Offices of George M. Sanders, P.C., our firm is dedicated to assisting clients with many different types of family law matters in Winnetka, including but not limited to the following:
- Drafting a premarital or postnuptial agreement;
- Filing for divorce;
- Property division;
- High net worth divorce issues;
- Spousal maintenance;
- Enforcing premarital agreements;
- Allocation of parental responsibilities (formerly known as child custody);
- Parenting time;
- Drafting parenting agreements;
- Child support;
- Modifications to family law court orders, such as maintenance or the allocation of parental responsibilities; and
- Domestic violence orders of protection.
When you have questions about a family law issue, a family law attorney in Winnetka can answer your questions and discuss your concerns with you.
Recent Changes to Illinois Family Law and Winnetka Residents
If you live in Winnetka and are going through a legal matter involving family law in Illinois, it is important to know about recent changes to the law that could impact your case. The Illinois Marriage and Dissolution of Marriage Act (IMDMA) governs most family law matters involving divorce, maintenance, and parental responsibilities. Revisions to Illinois family law include some of the following:
- Grounds for divorce: there are no longer fault-based grounds for divorce under Illinois law. Instead, any party who files for divorce must file on the grounds of “irreconcilable differences,” which functions as a no-fault divorce.
- Spousal maintenance: for married couples who earn a combined gross yearly income of less than $250,000, there is now a formula for determining the amount and duration of spousal maintenance.
- Child custody: Illinois law no longer uses the terms child custody or visitation, but instead has shifted to “parental responsibilities” and “parenting time.” When parents can agree to parental responsibilities, they can develop a parenting plan. Otherwise, the court will allocate parental responsibilities in an allocation judgment.
- Child support: Recent changes to Illinois law mean that child support is now determined based on an “income shares” model, which takes into account the incomes of both parents from which a combined child support obligation is determined.
Seek Advice from a Winnetka Family Law Attorney
If you have questions or concerns about any family law issue in Illinois, an experienced family law attorney in Winnetka can assist with your case. Contact the Law Offices of George M. Sanders, P.C. to learn more about the services we provide to clients throughout Chicagoland.